Arayes are a very popular street food in the Levant region, and a crowd pleaser. They are easy to make, and very tasty. The word Ara’yes in Arabic is the plural word for Arous, meaning bride.
If you are a meat lover, and looking for something quick and satisfying, look no further. I’ve got the perfect dish for you, it’s called Arayes. It’s a meat-stuffed pita dish that can be made on a week night, if you are pressed for time.
Serves 6-8 with a side dish, based on your appetite
Level of difficulty: Easy This recipe can easily be divided in half.
- 4 lb ground beef sirloin *
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup flat-leave parsley, chopped
- 6 garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. allspice *
- 1/4 tsp. coriander *
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg *
- 1-2 tbsp. tomato paste
- Pita Bread *
- Lemon, juiced
1) In a large frying pan, over medium-high heat, heat up olive oil. Saute the onions for 3 minutes. Add garlic, sauté an additional 2 minutes. Add meat, salt, pepper, allspice, coriander, nutmeg. Pan fry for about 10 minutes on high, depending on what material you’re using. Be careful not to burn the bottom, stir occasionally. It will render some liquid, but will dry up.2) Add tomato paste, and more oil if necessary. Keep stirring, add fresh parsley. Adjust seasoning to your taste. Remove.
3) In the meanwhile, warm up pita bread in the broiler, but you can also grill them for a more authentic version. Stuff the pita bread with meat, garnish with parsley, and sprinkle lemon juice on top. Hummus.Tabbouleh, or Fattoush Salad make wonderful side dishes for this lovely meal. The choice is yours! Visit the links to get the recipes.
1)Traditionally, lamb meat is used in this dish, but ground beef or ground turkey work well also.
2) You can substitute the coriander, nutmeg and allspice for a spice called 7 Spices. It can be found in Middle Eastern specialty stores.
3) Buy large pita bread and cut in half or use the small ones.
Have fun in your kitchen!
My Food, Wine & Travel Lifestyles